Eat Pretty Foods: Winter Citrus Salad

on Saturday, January 4, 2014

This recipe is actually the reason "Eat Pretty Foods" even came to be. We needed to bring a fruit to a New Years Day brunch and I was on a total blood orange kick- seeing as it is one of the very few perks of the winter season (especially when you live in Minnesota). This salad is always stunning, barring one small detail: the dressing. The yogurt dressing for this salad is, well...how do I put this..not the most appetizing looking. That being said, it tastes amazing and I certainly wouldn't omit it just for looks. I adapted this recipe from A Beautiful Mess.

Citrus Salad with Yogurt Dressing
1 grapefruit
1 navel orange
2 blood oranges because I love them
1 cara cara orange {they're pink on the inside!}
1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup (or slightly less) citrus juices
1 teaspoon honey
a few pinches of chopped, fresh mint

Remove the rind from the fruit and cut into thin slices. My fiancé thought it might be easier to cut the slices, then cut off the rind: this is false. But we tried it on one just in case. We used a few of the botched slices for juicing. In a small bowl stir together the yogurt, citrus juice, and honey. I tried putting the yogurt mixture into a squirt bottle to make circles of dressing- I thought that might be prettier- but because it's thin it just ends up looking watery and not particularly pretty. So however you can find to get that dressing on the citrus, spooning it on in little bunches or drizzling, go for it. Top with mint.
Enjoy!

Leave your comment