Remembering Johnny Otis and Etta James

on Friday, January 20, 2012

Like anyone else with even a modicum of appreciation for old soul and r&b music, I was extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Etta James (you know her- she sings that song they play at EVERY wedding). I called my dad to ask if he had heard the news. His response? Yeah, her and Johnny Otis too. I probably had the same thought as most of you-- Johnny who?!
Johnny Otis is considered the "godfather of rhythm and blues" and is known to have "discovered" Etta James...and Little Richard..and Jackie Wilson... Let's remember them, shall we?







2 comments

Etta sings a MEAN version of Tell It Like It Is that makes me throw my hands up in the air and dump my boyfriend because he's treating me like a toy (he's not). SING IT GIRL!

by Amy Nieto on January 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM . #

AMEN!

by Unknown on January 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM . #

Leave your comment